Forums » Share Your Sober Story!

Hey Everyone

• 2 posts
    September 22, 2022 3:34 PM EDT
    Hey everyone, I’m new here but have been looking for an active forum to participate in to enhance my sobriety… I’m a 42 year old guy, married with 3 kids. A little about me and my story…

I started drinking at the age of 13, sneaking beers out of my neighbors dad’s garage fridge… And beer or whiskey has always been my drink of choice. Fast forward to married life, about 5 years ago, my wife said she thought I drank too much and I should quit… So I quit… for about 3 months. Then one day, I just decided I am a grown man and I’ll do what I want… so I started drinking again, but told my wife I would moderate to only 2 drinks per night. This went on for a while successfully… Then after a couple of years I was transferred to Missouri for my job, by choice, to be near family. We made the move and all was well and good for a while, until I realized how toxic and stressful my new work location was… at this point I had moved on to drinking whiskey, but still only 2 drinks per night… the stress and toxic environment started to pile up, so then I started to go buy 6 packs of tall cans of beer. I would drink 2 on my way to work, 2 on my lunch break and 2 on the way home from work. I did this strictly to cope with my job environment because I didn’t see a way out. I got paid well for what I did, but I hated every second of the stress and the environment. Long story short, driving home from work one morning (I worked graveyard shift) about 300 feet from my house, I blacked out, and rolled my truck upside down into a ditch. I ended up getting nailed for a DUI, and my wife found all of the empty beer cans I hadn’t disposed of, in each of my 3 vehicles… It was only then that I realized , I had a problem and I needed help. I walked through the doors of AA on January 26th, 2021, and have been sober since January 24th 2021. I still attend regular AA meetings and lead one meeting a week, and it works for me. I really look forward to hanging out around these parts, and continuing on my journey in sobriety. Oh, and since I’ve gotten sober, I have quit that toxic job that I had for 10 years, have gotten a job that I love that pays the same, and my marriage has improved tremendously.

Scott
  • September 23, 2022 1:39 PM EDT
    Thank you Scott for sharing! I’m certain more people in recovery will relate to your story. can relate to parts of your story. I look forwarded to seeing more of your posts!