Forums » Living Life After Addiction

Loneliness

• 4 posts
    December 30, 2021 7:19 PM EST
    I’ve been clean for over a year now; like most of us, I changed “people, places, and things.” What I didn’t consider was the reality that there was no one left.
    My brother was killed in the war. My Dad died in 2019. My wife died of an overdose, eight days after I got clean, and my Mom died from COVID a month later.
    I’ve poured my heart into ZOOM meetings, and the people within the groups, and it relieves the loneliness for that hour, or two. It however, doesn’t catch the tears, give the comfort of an embrace, or a kiss before I sleep at night. It becomes me, and my thoughts feeling forgotten.
    I lived my addiction, literally all my life, and all of this is extremely new. I don’t know what life has for me, but I know that I”m finding myself, and all the emotions that come with this thing called “recovery.” Being clean, and alone, is better than being high within a crowd.

In His Grip,
    Foster

• 34 posts
    December 30, 2021 11:49 PM EST

It gets sooo much better! I promise you that it does if you keep coming back and doing the work that is suggested. If you feel that way now, the possibilities are endless on how you'll feel later on down the road! The only limitations we have are the ones we place on ourselves. 

• 8 posts
    February 22, 2022 1:27 AM EST
    I know this all to well and posted about it on my instagram.

I agree! Conversations online just aren't the same as being held when we are at our weakest, having that great energy when one psrtner is down.
    Having the feelings of excitment to share and support one and other through tough roads and kick butt the rest of the way!

I cut everyone out. Started setting healthy boundaries. It is extremely lonely. But I am now here for you!
    • 30 posts
    March 21, 2022 7:56 AM EDT

I dont know if there is anything I could write to help with the loss and pain you have endured but I do know life does get better when we allow ourselves to 'feel' our emotions, give yourself permission to grieve for your losses and then understand the path that you were chosen on to break free from your addictions isn't going to be paved, there will be potholes, obstacles, challenges...but do keep pushing forward because recovery is something that is truly beautiful.