Forums » Sober Rants

Everyday...

• 13 posts
    January 6, 2022 12:51 PM EST

Everyday counts and I often forget that. I get so wrapped up in the current moment of trying to forget yesterday that I lose sight of what’s been accomplished today and then the disassociation begins. This is when it become’s dangerous. It begins by taking risks; small ones, the kind I know I can easily get away with. And soon enough the snowball I’ve put in motion is no longer a tiny snowball, it’s colossal. It’s large enough to knock down not only you and I but everything in between, everything that’s been built up with hard work, everything that actually meant something before the first slip.

• 34 posts
    January 7, 2022 1:51 AM EST

The one day at a time concept works so well for many and for myself! I know when I'm focused on the past or the future I become more of the self obsessed person I work every single day to change. I can also end up being angry at my present, and that's no way to live. Taking risks or setting goals is a great way to start living life and enjoying it! I remember I used to be so consumed with fear, that I would be terrified to live and enjoy life. I've spent way too much time doing that so I choose to live today. To truly live is to do it without fear, and with tremendous gratitude for every single second of my life. I should be dead today... For some mystical unexplained reason, I am not, and due to that I will no longer take one more breath for granted. 

• 3 posts
    February 13, 2022 6:45 PM EST

I worked in the moment for a long, long time.  I couldn't go any longer than that.  Even now there isn't  a day that goes by I don't think of booze.  I would love to be able to drink socially, but I know I can't drink responsibly.  I know a fellow that was sober for 13 years, had a great job. Went out one night had a drink which led to more, wound up with a DUI that night and by Monday has lost his job.  Last I heard he was still out there drinking. So if you can handle a day at a time, do it, and stick with it.  The next thing you know you've made days, then weeks and so on.