Forums » Sober Rants

Doctors

• 15 posts
    January 25, 2022 1:46 PM EST

I used to trust and believe in doctors. Until I discovered, 

They were slowly killing me with their help.

The medications were causing so many side effects, that when I said something they were prescribing more medications to "help" with the side effects.

I found myself on 33 prescribed medications with a prognosis of a month to live.

I quit doctors altogether for a bit.

I sought alternative help.

Well that was 19 and a half years ago. I Said No More!!!

So I believe if I had stayed under all those doctors care and kept taking all those 33 prescriptions I would have died in that month.

Small list of the prescriptions consisted of opioids, benzo's, muscle relaxers, anti seizure, biologics, statins, antidepressants, sleep aids and so much more. All of it KILLING me!!!!

I told my doctor I felt something wrong in my kidneys .

He said yea that is a side effect and we can give you something to help that when it begins to get worse.

PLEASE REREAD THAT AGAIN CAREFULLY!!!!

After I digested what he just said 

I replied!

That would not be necessary!

I would like to do this.

I will be discontinuing this medication and all the rest one at a time! I now have a Nutritionist to help me.

He stutterely said "I highly advise against that". "And furthermore would have to stop treating you".

To which I replied "Let's give it 3 weeks and do bloodwork".

He reluctantly agreed.

I stopped the Statin (Lipitor) first.

I had already changed my diet and been off it a week at this point.

He agreed with this condition.  "When my cholesterol goes up I would agree to go back on the medication ".

I agreed.

NOW AGAIN REREAD THAT CAREFULLY!!

3 weeks came, I did the blood work.

I waited nearly two weeks for the results. Normally I got a phone call about the results.

Well it came time for my next appointment

My results were. My high cholesterol went down, way down. My good cholesterol went up to very impressive numbers.

He saw that and said it must be wrong, let's do that work again.

I said sure,  why not now I am fasting.

The phlebotomist came in, drew my blood. I asked how long before the results come back.

She replied by weeks end.

ARE YOU READING THIS CAREFULLY?!!?

So I called, asked to speak to the Dr., he got on the phone and read me my results.  I asked him to mail them to me and fax to all my other doctors.  The results were even better than the previous.

So he agreed that I could continue to go without that medication and could stop taking the next on my list.

So I agreed to keep him as my doctor.

Now Armed With Proof that I am serious about  changing, my other doctors agreed to that same arrangement.

I got off almost all 33 prescription medications!

• 13 posts
    February 25, 2022 1:00 PM EST

It is a strange bittersweet feeling when your psychiatrist is retiring. At times I'm confused between feeling abandoned or just simply passed on, let go of. This is the cold-ness of modern western medicine that seems to feel like a constant revolving door. I've gone through years of gradually jettisoning my prescription medication, making decisions of losing the lithium, the limictal, the zyprexa, the haldol; so on and so forth. against said "doctors orders." The medications make me shake somewhat which can be a bit embarrassing amongst strangers. So here I am now as they say 'out in the wind' with no direction home except straight ahead, walking forever along the line with the others just like me.     

This post was edited by Stephen McCoy at February 25, 2022 1:02 PM EST