Forums » Recovery Is Possible

Comfy in my own skin

• 30 posts
    May 12, 2022 7:51 PM EDT
    Everything begins with you, every choice we make plays a factor in how our life turns out. Every choice has a consequence, whether it’s good or bad, it’s a consequence of a choice that we made. I made a choice 4 1/2 years ago to get sober, that choice impacted the life that I’m living today, the consequences of that choice forced me to look deeper at my life and who was in it. Let’s start with the person that I was, I was living a life that I hated, a life built around a addiction that was killing me loudly but I couldn’t see it because I was blind to it. Choosing sobriety showed me the ugly truth, it didn’t sugarcoat it. I had made mistakes, and I had to deal with those mistakes if I wanted growth. I believe this is what trips up most newcomers because they can’t see how they can climb that mountain, they get discouraged by the size of the mountain. My mountain was huge, intimidating but here’s the beautiful truth about sobriety, you don’t have to climb that mountain in a day, or a week, or even a year, I’m 4.5 years into my sobriety and I’m still climbing. Today I can look back at where I was and smile, because each day I climb a little higher, I keep moving forward.
    Don’t look at the size of the mountain in front of you, look at what each day can be and start climbing.