Forums » Spiritual Gangster

Atheist Turned Spiritual

• 34 posts
    January 7, 2022 1:59 AM EST

I do not believe in any God or religion. I have struggled with even the concept of God the majority of my adult life. I was raised in an extremely conservative Christian family and I could never grasp the man made religion I grew up with. I was an atheist to the core. 

Through practicing the 12 steps in my life. I was able to start building a concept of my own 'God' with which I felt comfortable. I do find a pull within the universe. I find nature and art all around me whether it be the sound of rain, ocean waves, the fresh air I breathe, the vibration of another's energy that I can feel touch my soul, the stillness and peace within my mind after years of torment and chaos, the ability to change my life around so many times with the help of my sponsor, a select few supports, and the feeling which I can only describe as 'God' in words... Through practicing honesty, compassion, perseverance, willingness, integrity, hope, faith, commitment and so many others; I have found God within my life.

• 13 posts
    April 13, 2022 3:18 PM EDT

I was too beaten down by drugs and alcohol at that point that after being dragged to an AA meeting the parts involving a higher power almost felt as if there some sort of sick game and trick was being played with my head. I look around the room at possible school teachers and truck drivers and maybe one or two police officers but none of that mattered. The message is what rang true and nothing else mattered at this point. The part where identification was the silver lining within the whole things. AA is by no means dogmatic, its actually quite virtuous.